Tuesday, November 6

Laundry UK style

Since I'm suppose to blog every day this month & I'm worried I'll run out of interesting things to tell ya'll I'm trying to come up with differences between the US & UK, which you might not notice as a tourist.

Today's difference is laundry . . . and please let me know if I've just been gone from the US for too long so that this really isn't any different . . .

Washing machines in this country (or at least the 5 that I've ever used) are:
  • all front end loaders

  • have dials with settings for "30", "60", "90" which is temperature NOT time (learned that the hard way

  • no time setting just a button for "quick wash" which is 30-50mins instead of 115-130mins of a regular cycle

  • are also dryers . . . like after picking your water temp & reg vs. quick you then can add in how many minutes of drying time you want

How cool is that, that a washer can also be a dryer & you don't need 2 HUGE machines in your laundry area, which brings me to probably the last point

  • washing machines are kept in the kitchen (again this might be true in flat in NYC) not a laundry room or laundry closet like I remember growing up.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 06 November, 2007 17:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just at my boss' house this weekend and his washer and dryer are in the kitchen. I thought this was fantastic. He also has a brit oven. He loves all things british. Including Dom. Whom he recited poetry to at the party. Um... that's off the topic. Sorry.

 
At 07 November, 2007 08:34, Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

Now THAT is cool...of course I'd have to draw the line at having the toilet in the kitchen, too. LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

 
At 07 November, 2007 10:01, Blogger Sara said...

Amanda:

What sorta poetry is he reading to Dom?!?!?! Thanks for you comments - they make me smile in the morning :)

BrainCheese:

Yeah I haven't yet seen toilets in the kitchen, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one ;)

 
At 07 November, 2007 15:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be suprised to see a toilet in the kitchen in some London apartments! :)

He was reciting poetry about rowing to Dom. Looked him intensly in the eyes while he was doing it as well. The best part? He wrote it himself. Sometimes life is just too funny!

 
At 07 November, 2007 16:31, Blogger Sara said...

Amanda:

Did your boss use to row or did he just discover his love for it when he met Dom? Wish I'd been there to see this all go down . . . what did Dom do/think?!?!?!

 
At 07 November, 2007 20:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He used to row. Still does actually. Dom was uncomfortable, as you can imagine. He didn't do much, just stood there trying to figure out where to look.

I was on the other side of the room making fun of the situation with my co-worker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home