Thursday, March 29

pay day

So I've already been paid for my first week of work :) I have to go & pick up the pay check in a few minutes but I'm ruddy excited since this is the first time I will actually be getting paid in nearly 2 years - I'm sure my family (and friends) are very happy because I won't be asking to borrow money or saying, "no I can't afford to do that" (as often). Course Jim laughed when he saw my pay slip while I was dancing around the room in excitement of getting paid, I didn't care about the amount - lol!!! I also pointed out that his paycheck is much higher than mine due primarily to the overtime he puts in, I don't get overtime, while he gets TONS of it, mainly by choice, so he can't complain at all, but does cause we all know boys are whiners ;)

My mum sent me cute photos from last week when my sis went to visit her, if I get my act together I will try to save a few to this computer & then upload them on here for you.

I wish I had some more interesting stuff to tell you about, but I guess my work life is pretty boring - going to make some single cell suspensions later this afternoon, but I won't bore you with the details of that!

I did hear on the news this morning that 2 covers (one child & one adult) for the next Harry Potter book has been released, not being a big HP fan I'm not going searching for it to show you, but apparently they are out there for you to view, should you be so inclined.

hmmm, what else to tell you . . . it's raining here in London today & of course my brellie (what some people like to call umbrellas) broke on my walk from Kings Cross to LSHTM, luckily it was only a light rain so I didn't get soaked or anything horrible like that, but still it frustrated me!

Well I'm off to pick up my paycheck & meet with Nigel, the safety officer and if I'm really lucky be able to get my official ID card, how long does it take to get all this stuff done you ask? Well it's been nearly 3 weeks now, gotta love the relaxed attitude which some places take!


Update as of 10.30, I know what I want to tell you, how annoyed I get when people go to shake your hand & drop their eyes/head to look at the floor, while extending their hand only for you to accept it, expect to shake it, just get that "wet noodle" feeling! That really drives me bonkers, if you're going to go through the trouble of making an effort to shake my hand the least you can do is look at me & shake my hand, none of this fany-pany hand crap!

Update as of 11.28, I now have my own personal ID card - which works cause I tested it before I go & return my visitor one. I now have in hand my blue safety paper, which I just have to figure out what the ADCP & DEFRA codes for the pathogen I will be using are (not even sure what those stand for). AND more importantly, I have deposited my pay check & my deposit check which I did FINALLY get back from the lovely Leo (landlord of my KT flat last year). I think the next thing on my agenda for the day is to read and in the afternoon maybe make a few single cell suspensions with Anna.

I also wanted to let you know they have some good prices on flights from the US to the UK, should any of you fancy visiting me here in Londontown. Of course in my new house I won't be able to put you up, as I only have my bed & doubt you want to share it with me, but I have also found the
Muswell Hill Hotel which is just 5 minutes (via bus) away from my house & has reasonable rates (remember I live in a city not Saranac Lake!)

TOPICS you want info on in future posts. Please feel free to leave comments with other topic ideas, I will get to all of them eventually (aka slowly, but surely)

  • food
  • people I work with
  • flatmates
  • spot where Dr. John Snow shut down the public water pump to put a stop to the cholera epidemic until I get there in person you can check out this site about it.

13.21 update: Jim & I were talking the other night & I inquired why he was called a "bobbie" to which he sort of sputtered off some answer that he recalled hearing during training about the tickets that they use to give out where some how called a related term, but then he admitted he really did not know that answer. On Tuesday night however when he arrived home from work he said, "we're called bobbies because of our founder" to which I asked how the heck he found that out & he said he read it on the side of a building in Holburn while turning in some official paperwork. Here is more of the story for you all to read. Did you also know that many years ago today (1869 to be exact) Edwin Lutyens was born, he was an architect known as the last English designer of country houses and that on 30 March 1945 Eric Clapton, songwriter and guitarist was born?!?!?!?

16.08 update: So there are a lot of people using the tube these days and that is about the only interesting thing I can tell you right now, still waiting to hear back from the care hiring company and will be leaving here in just over an hour - yeah :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 29 March, 2007 18:00, Blogger PCS said...

How about a picture of you and Jim. Jim should be dressed in his "bobbie" uniform, complete with "bobbie" hat/helmet. I think in the year I spent in London I only saw one cop wearing a bobbie hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home