Thursday, March 22

tubes/flats/work

So I've made it to Thursday, but barely, someone pushed me off the tube this morning on my way into work (I still have a hard time saying work, I'm so use to saying school or uni!!)

So here's the story . . . I stood outside waiting for the complementary shuttle service (b/c it was freezing cold & snowing) that exists in this posh estate that I'm living in for the moment! I got on the tube at Arnos Grove, couldn't get a seat (which is unusual, but I was 30 minutes later than normal so maybe that's the reason) so I got stuck standing by the doors. At Finsbury Park lots of people where trying to get off, this guy who smelled of wee just pushed me off the train so that he could get off as well, WTF? So I figured I'd just push my way back on, right?!?!?! Well nooooo! All the other people who had been waiting on the platform felt that they had priority over me, not sure why since I had been on the train in the first place, but none the less I was not allowed back on, so I had to wait for the next train - how annoying is that?!?!?! Note to self never get a train past 7.50am unless you want to stand for 15 minutes, get pushed off a train, wait for the next one & then stand another 15 minutes on the second train!!

As for flat hunting last night:

Fifth Flat:
The place was very luxurious (marble tiles in the bath, but no stand up shower), HUGE ("my bedroom" was the size of my old flat), beautiful (wooden floors through out, new furniture), big roof deck, 2 nice girls living there, but I learned they both smoked when they said, "fancy a fag" (that statement still makes me giggle) and lit theirs, PLUS it was a 20 minute walk from the Arnos Grove tube station, so it would take me about 1.5 hours to get to work, which I'm not too keen on & I'm not exactly sure where I would buy groceries. They both have cars so maybe I could bum a ride from them once in awhile, but it's not like I could easily walk anywhere else.

Sixth Flat:
The second place was smaller, in Muswell Hill, an area I really like. It has your typical kitchen, bathroom (with stand up shower!), living room & 2 bedrooms, the girl who is staying is Irish & works near Blackfriars tube. She's gone 2 weekends a month visiting her boyfriend who is stationed in Wales with the RAF (Royal Air Force) and he comes down one weekend a month. I will know more tomorrow about this place & I still have one more place to see tonight in MH.

Well I just finished my appt with personnel (finally) & they didn't have much to tell me aside from asking for a copy of my passport & they gave me a rather large folder full of papers to read on equality, health care, ID cards, pension plans, etc.

Next on my agenda for the day is to make a cup of tea, did I tell you it's freakin freezing over here in Londontown?!?!?! Well it is, there was proper snow falling in Princess Park Manor this morning while I waited for the shuttle. After the tea is ready I think I will get back to reading all these exciting papers I just received & looking for a vial of MAC4 in the liquid nitrogen freezer log - don't ask me what that is, I have no clue, Greg just sent an email from Washington DC asking me to do that, so I'm going to!

I'm hoping all of you in EST are getting up & getting ready to go to work and I hope those of you on PST are soundly sleeping as it is 04.22!!! This Sunday we switch our clocks forward which is really going to mess me up b/c I've finally learned to subtract 4 and 7 hours depending on which time zone I'm calling, now I have to go back to 5 and 8 - I have such a tough life, I know!!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home