Friday, May 1

Swine flu fears Part 2

In annoyance of misinformation I keep seeing about cancelled flights and so on here is what the World Health Organisation said:

"The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 06:00 GMT, 1 May 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 331 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (34), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8)."

I might regret saying this, but at this point I'd be more scared of TB which kills over a million people each year than of swine flu which has killed 10!!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 01 May, 2009 16:35, Anonymous Dave C. said...

Hey,
I'm flying on Monday so I've been reading a lot about this flu variant (I actually wouldn't be all that concerned if I didn't have a pregnant wife at home who I do not want to get the flu!)

Anyway, I found this article interesting for background knowledge:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090429/sc_mcclatchy/3222848

Probably boring for an infectious disease researcher though!

 
At 01 May, 2009 17:12, Blogger Sara said...

Hey Dave,

to be honest that's a good start for those who don't know about viruses! which to be honest I'm not great with since I've always worked on bacteria. okay gotta run, need to pack & get to bed early for my 6am flight to Bulgaria. hugs & kisses to the fam for me, xx

 
At 01 May, 2009 19:16, Anonymous DAD said...

i had a sense of what your research is showing but am delighted to see the figures you assembled and find them most convincint. well done.

 
At 05 May, 2009 00:41, Anonymous Dave C. said...

My informal observation today was that airline travel is way down... it was nice traveling with fewer people in the system.

I saw one person wearing a surgical mask too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home