Thursday, May 14

interesting test results back

So I'm not sure how many of you know what a Mantoux test is, but it's the UK name for what you probably remember as the "tine" or "heath" test, which looks for antibody responses to TB. This test is obviously useless to people who have been given the BCG vaccine, but American's aren't vaccinated.
The point of this is that, I'll be doing a bit of work in the TB lab, so rules are that you have a Mantoux test before starting work, to see if I have "immunity" which since I've never been vaccinated, I figured nothing to worry about, right? Well today is 48 hours post injection and I have a bump on my arm.

Before you ask, I feel fine, well minus this painful welt on my arm.

The next step is to have the injection site read by a doctor, that appointment is at 3.30pm today. After that it is more than likely the doctor will require that I have a chest xray done to look for "spots" in my lungs which would be signs of having TB. IF this is the case, I will be put on a long course of antibiotics, when I say long, I'm talking 6-12 months!

At this point there is nothing more I can tell you, aside from the normal things like: no I don't feel sick, I don't have a cough, I don't know anyone with TB, I feel fine! The most likely place I would have picked it up would have been during my travels. Let me also state, that there is nothing I could have done to prevent this - I have been offered the vaccine & always declined it.

I will be sure to give you an update as soon as I know more, might not be till early next week, since A) I'm dealing with the NHS and they can be verrrrrrry slow B) I had to cancel my Virgin Media service this morning cause they finally admitted that it will be months before they can sort the problem out and finally C) results of all of these tests can take some time.

Yes, I'm continuing my normal life just a few extra doctors appointments this week & no you don't have to be worried about me breathing near you & yes, I do cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze (just like my parents taught me to when I was little).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 14 May, 2009 18:11, Anonymous Dave C. said...

Well, that stinks. Hopefully it will turn out to be minor. Do you know what the "false positive" rate or liklihood is for this type of test?

Kind of ironic how you just wrote about being more worried of TB than H1N1.

Too bad about Virgin; sometimes they are willing but not ready :)

We'll be thinking about you.

 
At 14 May, 2009 20:54, Blogger Sara said...

who knew I was so spot on with that "worry more about TB than swin flu"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home