Tuesday, September 2

One of my life decisions has been made

for the moment at least . . . My boss asked me to stay for another year, finish off my grant & hopefully write a paper on my project & be second author on co-worker's paper - after LONG debates with myself & talking it out with family & friends from around the world (and I do mean around the world, UK, Iraq, USA, Germany, Australia) over the past 3 weeks I've finally made the decided to accept the 2009 contract.

I know this might come as a surprise to some of you, since I was pretty dead set on coming home in December and joining the peace corps. But I really, really wanna get a paper out of this project (I've decided it's one of my "goals" - one of many things I've learned from Zee) & it will give me a chance to look into other options before making some sort of quick decision to switch careers without balancing out all of my other options.

I just sent an email to a mate of mine in SoCal & realised how busy my life has been over the past few months & what's still to come, here's a quick recap:
  • June 19-July 14th i was state side for my dad's 70th birthday, my NU roommates wedding, visiting my sister before she moved from CT to TN, visiting my cousins & aunt who i only see once a year & going to an interview with the peace corps
  • rest of July was spent working like mad for a HUGE presentation about future funding at work (see below for outcome on that one!)
  • August 13th my sis arrived for 2 weeks visit
  • August 15th i had my mate Jim's wedding up in Nottingham
  • August 22-25 my sis & i went to Prague and met up with my dad
  • August 27th - Sept 1, two of my mates who are living on a base in Germany came to visit
  • Sept 1st my dad arrived for a 3 week visit
  • Also on Sept 1 - my boss announced we got funding for 2009, so I'm working on getting yet another visa so i can stay till Dec 2009 :-)

Still to come on my whirlwind life is:

  • Today, Sept 2nd, I'm meeting my godmother & her husband for lunch (they're in town just for a few hours)
  • Sept 6th, Dad & I are off to Oxford to visit family friends for the day
  • Sept 15-18th I'm in Edinburgh with my dad for a Harvard Business School reunion (his obviously not mine)
  • Sept 20th I'm spear heading the 1st ever Norwich University European Alumni meeting
  • Oct 1-14, I'm off to Rwanda (http://www.itafari.org/)

Aside from that life's been rather boring - HA HA HA HA - just kidding

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 02 September, 2008 13:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent decision in an excellent presentation! good show and enjoy it all!

 
At 02 September, 2008 16:00, Blogger Kristen said...

You always seem to make the right choice...ultimately if it's your choice, for your life...of course it's right! 8) You will be successful and wonderful at whatever you choose to do...cause that's just RA!!! I'm happy that you have a path...and goals and that you feel better now! We all still love you, even if you are across the pond for awhile longer!! YAY RA!

 
At 02 September, 2008 17:45, Blogger Andrew said...

Heh, so I'll have a place to crash if I get back to London in a year?

 
At 02 September, 2008 22:18, Blogger Jenn C said...

sounds like you are doing what is right for you...i commend you! it's hard to know which path is the right one. congrats on finding your way!

 
At 02 September, 2008 22:35, Blogger Sara said...

dad:
thanks for your help in the decision making process

kristen:
cheers my dear, don't worry i'll still come "home" to the states to visit!

andrew:
yes, i'll be here till dec 2009 now

jg:
cheers my dear, can't wait to meet baby g!!!

 
At 03 September, 2008 02:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, that is good news! There will always be the Peace Corp, but this is an opportunity you can't pass up. You are such an amazing young woman - a real inspiration to old cousin Susan who will live vicariously through your adventures!
Much love - Susan

 
At 03 September, 2008 15:20, Blogger Sara said...

thanks aunt susan!!

 
At 04 September, 2008 11:35, Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

You go for it! And all will be well...

Linda D. in Seattle

 
At 05 September, 2008 16:25, Blogger mary o said...

I thought I'd chimed in on this one. I'm proud of you as always for making what always seem to be very wise choices. congrats!


Love,Mom

 
At 05 September, 2008 16:39, Blogger Sara said...

miss cheesewiz:
thanks!!

mom:
thanks as well :)

 
At 08 September, 2008 17:14, Blogger Andrew said...

Very nice! I do need to get back there at some point. I still miss it very much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home