Monday, October 3

1st day of lectures

So I've officially survived my first day of lectures at LSHTM :) We started at 9.30am with 2 hours on the lymphoid system with Gregory Bancroft followed by an hour break for lunch. After that we went to meet with our tutors, who just sort of reviewed this morning's talks and scheduled our future meetings.

I can't say it was all that exciting, but it was a nice start to the course. I really liked his teaching method - I found him easy to understand and was able to relate what he was talking about to real life situations. Tomorrow's lectures are with John Raynes. I have not met him yet, but one of my classmates pointed him out while we were walking to the computer lab.

We learned about Innate vs. Adaptive immunity, cells of the immune system, structural organization of lymphoid organs, myeloid vs. lymphoid lineages, 'when things go wrong' (immunodeficiency vs. infection), and clinical applications - stem cell transplantation and gene therapy. Not bad for just 2 hours of lecture!!

It's really funny to me that I'm having my afternoon "coffee break" and I think of all the people at Trudeau who are having their morning one. Of course mine is much less interesting seeing as I'm sitting alone in front of my computer instead of sitting in our "assigned" seats discussing religion, politics, and sports!

Nearly forgot to tell you I finished, Plainsong by Haruf. It was a very good read! It started off a little slow but by page 30 I couldn't put it down and finished the rest of it last night.
ALSO, I got a card reader today so I'm hoping to get all the photos of my flat downloaded either tonight or tomorrow, so keep an eye out for them!! Okay, I'm off to get another cup of tea and start reading about tomorrow's topic.

1 Comments:

At 03 October, 2005 17:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not nearly as big as your appartment in SL, but very cool all the same....I hope Matt noticed that I wrote your favorite "little" Yankee fan....not to be confused with your true favorite Yankee fan ...
hi Matt : )
Go Yankees !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home