Tuesday, September 27

bus tour with JoAnn

Another BEAUTIFUL day here in London, I don't know why everyone says it's always cloudy and rainy here, so far it's rained on 2 days out of 2 weeks and even then it wasn't all day long.
Today all the molecular biology of infectious disease (MBID) students met together and found out the "nitty gritty" of the year. Graham Clark started out by telling us that last year one student didn't get his/her MSc due to failing grades and none of the students received "distinction". I think he saw all of our faces get very worried b/c then he tried to tell us it wouldn't be that bad, just very intense, but he asked us not to worry.
There are only 14 MBID students maybe one more but she just found out that her student loan application was rejected, so she's going to try to get other funding by Friday - not sure how successful she will be with that.
We will be able to pick up our ID cards tomorrow which is sort of exciting :) I'm sure it's a horrible photo, but it will let us into the different parts of the building (sort of like the fobs at Trudeau).
The meeting was over around noon, so 5 of us decided to go down to the refractory and check out the quality of the food - I liked my meal and it was only 1.90# (no pound sign since I'm using my US laptop). After that meal was done we decided to have a cup of tea at the cafe we went to yesterday to talk about housing and classes.
Around 2:15pm, I met my new friend JoAnn (not related to LSHTM) in Leicester Sq and we were going to take the touristy bus to get the "lay of the land" but it was 18#s so we decided to just grab a regular bus, sit in on the second level and pull our our A-Z map and explore on our own. We had a good time following the route of the 24 bus. First it went down to Pimlico and then it turned north again and took us up to Hampstead Heath. We got off and were going to walk around in the park, but it got a little cloudy so we just walked around the neighborhood back to the tube station and went home. Not exactly a fancy guided tour, but we drove up Tottenham Court Road and she pointed out where her office was and I pointed out which street to turn for my school and then we went up through Mornington Crescent & Camden Town - we got to see the Camden Lock from up high :) It was a good afternoon, though I think the bus driver thought we were really really lost or just crazy.
Well I've gotta run b/c at half eight (that's the way we say 8:30) a girl from my MBID course is going to look at a flat here in Kentish Town and she didn't want to go alone so we're meeting at the tube around 8:10, plus I have to cook dinner and straighten up all these papers I've gotten over the past two days. Good thing I don't have a roommate they'd have nowhere to put anything :)
Anything exciting going on in the states?!?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home