Guy Fawkes Night 2009
Guy Fawkes Day is an annual celebration on the evening of 5 November. Marking the downfall of the Gunpowder Plot on 5 November 1605 - failed assassination attempt by a group of English Catholics against King James I of England, they intended to kill the King and most of the Protestant aristocracy by blowing up the Houses of Parliament, included in this group was a man named Guy Fawkes,
Here are songs kids sing on days like today:
Guy, guy, guy Poke him in the eye, Put him on the bonfire, And there let him die
- Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
- The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
- I know of* no reason
- Why the Gunpowder Treason
- Should ever be forgot.
- Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
- To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
- Three-score barrels of powder below
- To prove old England's overthrow;
- By God's providence he was catch'd (or by God's mercy*)
- With a dark lantern and burning match.
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring. (Holla*)
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Labels: england, history