Monday, October 27

5 October 2008 (Day 5 Rwanda)

Woke up at 2am this morning to an earthquake, no clue what it registered as since we don't have a daily paper, but it was very cool and wonderful timing as Vicky had just told me yesterday how they have them often - who knew?!?!?

Pastor Francis came by to pick us up to go to church. It's an evangelical type church so as you can guess from all my religious talk that I do on here, I was a bit in over my head - everyone had their own bible (now let me set the record straight - I do OWN a bible, just it's in a box safely stored away in a storage unit in Schroon Lake, New York, USA). Okay back to my point, I figured I'd be a bit in over my head since I'm not a regular church goer, and although I can name some of the books of the bible in order I might add for both old & new testament: genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, numbers . . . Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts of the Apostles, Letters to the Romans, Corinthians 1 & 2 . . . it doesn't mean I'm up for a lot of bible chat. BUT, the feeling of this church was amazing. These people don't have a lot of money to eat but show up in their best outfits with the largest smiles I think I've ever seen. Minus Pastor Francis & Vicky, they were all strangers to me, but they welcomed me with open arms.

The children have a separate section, cause there are so many of them, and to my amazement they all sit on their little benches quietly & attentively listening. Vicky & I were introduced at both adult & child services. When the service was over I think just about every child and adult came over to say hello, give a big hug & the traditional 3 kisses. Actually even before the adult service was over the children were sneaking down the aisles to come & say hello the the "muzungus" (Vicky & me).

I sat and chatted with all of the children. Some only spoke French & Kinyarwanda, but my French was good enough for 10 year olds to comprehend, while others only spoke Kinyarwanda, but there were also a few who spoke English and were nice enough to translate for me. We took photos and videos until it was time to go.

I met a woman named Mary who helps with the Rains of Hope Co-operative who make baskets. I told her that my mother's name was marry & so she said she would be my Rwandan mother. Vicky & I picked out some baskets which we wanted to come back & get at a later time and set them aside.

Just across the road from the church is Chrysologue's new house, which he's building from itafari (bricks) he makes himself! So since we were so close we got a full tour, before Pastor Francis drove us home where we had our much loved lunch of avocat vinaigrette.

Just after lunch Mona and Baby John (her son) came over to visit. Mona works at the US Embassy as a nurse, even though she's actually Canadian. She's married to a Rwandese musician named Ezra (who was not around that day).

That evening around half 6, Leigh, the American I'd met a few days before came round for dinner at the restaurant just 3 streets up called Heaven. We had an interesting chat about Sarah Palin and other politics.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 31 October, 2008 02:49, Blogger mary o said...

Loved to hear about home-made bricks. And the story of Mary--well, no wonder why.

Those years of Sunday school paid off a wee bit, right???

Love, Mommio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home