Wednesday, June 27

sounds like a bad excuse

Paris Hilton, "The 26-year-old, sentenced to 45 days on 3 June, was released early due to crowded jail conditions and time off for good behaviour." WTF is up with that? How many other people do you know who are able to get out on that excuse?!?!?!?!

AND what is up with, "She is scheduled to appear on Larry King's CNN talk show on Wednesday. The network has said she will not be paid for her appearance, which has replaced a planned interview with filmmaker Michael Moore." Of course she should NOT be paid, she's got enough money to burn, but in my mind, more to the point, who would you rather see be interviewed Michael Moore or Paris Hilton????

In other news, the smoking ban is coming into effect starting on Sunday - YEAH!!! This is one of a few things that I definitely miss about New York, since it's been smoke free for a few years now. Moving to London was a bit of a shock to my system since I'd gotten so use to not being asked, "smoking or non?" or even worse is not being asked because you can smoke anywhere you want in the restaurant/pub. I found this comment rather amusing, "Claire Fox, director of the Institute of Ideas, will say the ban is a sign of "our small-minded times".
"These new modern puritans demonise our behaviour and preach illiberalism
." as an argument against the smoking ban.

On the other hand this article brought up one valid point as far as shisha ("the Arabic water-pipe in which fruit-scented tobacco is burnt using coal, passed through an ornate water vessel and inhaled through a hose") is concerned which is, ""For myself, I know I'll lose a place that I can go out with my Asian friends who I can't go out to the pub with," Kate said of the impending ban." Since it's like like cigarette smokers meet up at the pub to smoke, but I don't reckon that is enough of a reason to allow shisha to be an exception to the smoking ban.

I guess I'm just looking forward to a smoke free environment, but fear the other smells that could arise from a smoke free pub, if you get my drift.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 28 June, 2007 04:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad about the smoking ban. For all Portland's wonders, there is still smoking in bars and other places. YUK. Hope the city gets wise quickly!

Love you blog --madly,
Mommio

 
At 30 June, 2007 14:45, Blogger jen said...

that was a problem when dc started its smoking ban at the beginning of the year -- everyone started to realize what smells the smoke had covered. but now it doesn't seem to be a problem, either they got rid of the smells or we got used to them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home