Thursday, March 1

thoughts & book meme

Once again I am amazed when I open my yahoo account to find emails from supposed friends which just blow me away. Maybe it is easier to rude to a friend when you know they are moving over 3000 miles away? Well I refuse to rehash the details, all it has helped me to do is weed out the fair weather friends. So I guess in a way I should be grateful to those of you who have emailed & proven where our friendship lies, in the long run it makes my departure on Saturday just that much easier, so let me take this time to thank each & every one of you.

As for my plans for tomorrow & Saturday . . . hmm . . . good question. Tonight I know is Asian Chicken Salad with Anne, John & Matt. Tomorrow I HAVE to go to Patty's and get my suitcase sorted (had originally planned to do that today, "Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow. Delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done." -- Aaron Burr) Tomorrow night is up in the air (dependent on if Melissa comes to CT for the weekend) as is Saturday, but I do have tentative plans no matter what occurs.

Okay, on a happier note, my friend Zee's site, Behind Blue Eyes, posted this book meme & since I have bugger all to do today (yeah right) I decide it was a good procrastination tactic. What I've learned from doing this is that I'm not well read according to this list, but then again I'm not sure that Harry Potter is really a classic.

Instructions:
in bold=have read the book.
in italics=want to read the book
* =own the book
[]=notes from me
1. *The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) [loved it]
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. *To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) [a favourite from hs]
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) [started but never finished]
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. *Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) [I read ALL the books in this series]
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. *Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) [a disappointment after reading DaVinci Code]
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. *A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. *Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) [really good, given to me by my previous boss while recouping from knee surgery!]
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerors’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. *The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) [required reading for hs, but really enjoyed it as well]
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. *Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) [will never forget this book, Mrs. Smith read it to us in 3rd grade as we sat in a circle giving each other back massages]
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. *Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom) [highly recommended!!!!!!!]
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) [saw the movie & it was really good so I'm guessing I should try to pick it up]
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell) [was required reading in hs but never finished it]
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. *I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. *The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. *The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) [not nearly as good as Tuesday's with Morrie]
45. *Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. *Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) [Started, never finished]
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) [hs reading list, not a big fan]
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) [Started; couldn't get through it]
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo) [Started, liked it, but never finished it, saw the musical 10 times in NYC while growing up]
70. *The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) [read in French & English, top that!]
71. *Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje) [didn't like the movie, so doubt I will try reading it]
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) [ms reading I think]
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 01 March, 2007 23:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find it interesting to see other people's book-lists, because they're always so different... you and I definitely have pretty different book interests.

I read "The Notebook" on a plane going somewhere (don't remember where but it was cross-country) and I sobbed through the entire damn thing. Thankfully it was a fairly empty flight and I had a row to myself or I might have really been embarrassed. It's a throw-away book, as was the movie, but a tear-jerker nonetheless. (Like Erich Segal's "Love Story.") My point is, make sure you have tissues handy. :)

I don't think this is a list of classics - because, come on, "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?" Yeah, not so much. I'm thinking I might come up with my own list of books or maybe a "classics" list or something ...

Sorry about your friend; email is a crappy way to tell someone something like that. But, as you say, this sort of thing helps weed out the "fair-weather" friends. I had a friend do that to me in Nov. 2005; it was really painful but I think I'm better off for it. And, in the long run, it saved me the trouble of dumping her. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home