Friday, September 28

"There is a way to be good again."

So I just finished reading what I think is going to be my favourite book of the year, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and I have to admit I've read some good books this year, but this one takes the cake (thus far)! The Kite Runner was Hosseini's first book ever written and his second one, A Thousand Splendid Suns just came out this past May, I reckon I would enjoy this book as well maybe as a Christmas present (hint hint mum or dad or patty).

I do not want to ruin the story for you so I will just tell you that it's a wonderfully written & really intense book, I couldn't put it down, for real, I stayed up late reading it & missed my bus stop earlier today b/c I was so into the book I didn't realise where we were. I could see, feel, smell, and really "be" where Amir and Hassan where when reading. I've obviously never been to Afghanistan (and to be honest probably won't ever make it there) but I have a picture of it in my head & I was thinking as I finished it earlier that it could make a great movie, then when I goggled it, I noticed it is being made into a movie (coming out this Christmas), just wonder if it could do it justice, since in my head I know what the characters look like & I might not see then the same way.

Has anyone else read this book & if so what are your views on it, as I know not everyone enjoys the same books.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 28 September, 2007 22:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I read it. And it was wonderful. I'll get you the other book for Christmas.

I'm reading a great book called Breaking Trail by Arlene Blum, a mountain climber who is my age. She talks about the treatment of women in graduate school, especially in the Northeast US in the 60's. Made me shudder. I've stopped reaing it to save it for the plane ride!

Love, Mommio

 
At 29 September, 2007 21:45, Blogger jen said...

i loved that book as well.

 
At 01 October, 2007 16:34, Blogger Andrew said...

I enjoyed the book, it was a quick read for me. I believe that it's being made into a movie...

 
At 02 October, 2007 09:06, Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

Haven't read it, but can certainly relate to the splendor of a fabulous book...to me, it's like being a kid again...lost in another world, which is a great relief at times from the chaotic one I currently dwell in.

Happy reading...

Linda D. in Seattle, WA, USA

 
At 02 October, 2007 21:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really understand what you mean by saying that you could feel the book with all senses. I've experienced exactly the same.It is hard to believe but i just picked up random book from the shelve...

 
At 08 October, 2007 20:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book 3 years ago -- and I still think about it. What a brilliant writer and it was all so unexpected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home