Tuesday, October 11

Day 2 Week 2

Well Dad got up early this morning in order to catch his flight back to the states. I got up to say good-bye but then went back to bed since we didn't start classes until 11.00 today!

This morning's first lecture was on inflammation. Let's see what I remember . . . E-selectins bind neutrophils, ICAM-1 binds monocytes and VCAM-1 binds Tcells, but that is a slow process, the neutrophils are very fast!

Second lecture was on host mediators of inflammation. Those are histamine, prostaglandins, leukotrienes, TNF, IL-1, chemokines, C5a (that's a complement), and platelet activating factor.

This afternoon's lecture was on acute phase response. We learned sickness behavior is induced by cytokines such as IL-1B induces fever and suppresses appetite, TNFalpha induces sleep, IL-2 inhibits spatial memory. We also learned about class I and II of APP's (acute phase proteins). Class I is IL-1 and IL-6, but class II is only IL-6. Okay that's enough for you to have to read about! Hope I got that all right, I did it from memory - don't want to check my notes yet, waiting till I'm finished with dinner.

We were done by 15.00, I came straight home to get some reading done and check emails.

Now it's 18.54 and I think I'll make myself some dinner, read, and then go to bed.

Sorry nothing exciting to report tonight :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home