Monday, October 10

Assembly House

So my "cousin" Danielle called to say she was sick and couldn't come for dinner so Dad and I went 1 block away from my flat to the assembly House - we'd never been inside but pass if every day on our way to the tube station & bus stop. Our plan was to have a drink there before we went to find a place for dinner, but Dad liked the look of the menu, so we stayed for dinner.

Dad & I split the "Maryland Crab Cakes with American Coldslaw" for our appetizer. For main courses I had a "BBQ Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla" and dad had the "Babyback Pork Ribs with French Fries and American Coldslaw." (Maureen, I had to have it after we'd just spoken - reminded me of being at the Boathouse with you and Bob.) Also on the menu was "NY Strip Steak," "NY Cheesecake" and "New Orleans Cajun Salmon" - all of which made me laugh seeing as we are in a Pub in London!!

The food was fantastic - the best pub food I've had - of course it's not your typical pub food. During our meal I noticed an obviously drunk gentleman drinking at the bar who was in my opinion bothering the female bartender. I told Dad I didn't think I'd last a day as a bartender b/c I wouldn't be able to keep my cool with annoying drunk guys. As the meal progressed this guy made his way to the bar closest to our table. This time he was trying to chat up the 3 guys who'd been at the bar since before we arrived. When we were done eating Dad got up to wash the BBQ sauce off his hands and I was staring out the window looking at the people walking by. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement next to me - I assumed Dad was returning so I turned back to talk to him. To my surprise it was the drunk guy eating chips off Dad's plate. He muttered something about wishing he could join me but he had to run so he'd just take a few more chips and be on his way. I was totally caught off guard so I just sort of smiled and hoped he'd disappear just as fast as he had appeared. While staring at him, over his shoulder I could see the guys at the bar watching what was going on. After the guy had left, one of the guys at the bar came over to tell me next time to tell him to buzz off. I explained I wasn't about to start a fight with a drunk guy - I didn't know how the drunk guy would react. He explained I was fine b/c there were police in the bar and the barracks were across the street. Dad came back at this point and we explained not to eat any more of the chips etc. The guy offered to buy us a drink and apologized saying "Not all British are that rude, he was just a drunk bloke giving all of us a bad name." After a few more questions about where we were from, he showed us his police badge and smiled. We took him up on the free drinks and all 3 of them joined us at the table. We sat chatting with Jim, Mark, and Bob for about the next hour. They explained that we really need to go to the London Dungeon which I think they said is near Tower Bridge, but don't hold me to it. They offered to take us later this week, but dad explained he was leaving first thing tomorrow morning so he'd have to take a rain check on the offer. Jim said he would look at his schedule and call when he knew his weekend schedule. So I might get to go this weekend, which would be something cool to do!

Well I need to sign off so we can turn the lights off and Dad can get to bed. That is if he can take a break from reading Dry (Augusten Burroughs) - he loves it too!! I have a friend who's been recommending what I like to call my AW reading list. She is a fantastic book recommender!!!

(Anne W. - Just found Morality for Beautiful Girls hopefully I will be able to have time to read that (along with all my school reading) before I come home and get my next installment from the your library. Yesterday when I was in Oxford, Beth mentioned that she new Alexander McCall Smith, from when she was getting her masters at the same uni. with him, isn't that cool!!)

10 Comments:

At 10 October, 2005 22:34, Blogger PCS said...

I always wanted to go to the London Dungeon but was told it was too touristy and expensive. It's a fake dungeon with torture equipment etc. Maybe those cops were into s and .....oh never mind.

 
At 11 October, 2005 04:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your adventures immensely! I think I would have let the drunk have the chips and be on his way. Hope you get to go the Dudgeon, touristy or no. Another adventure.

 
At 11 October, 2005 17:49, Blogger Sara said...

LOL, Peter!! Has Kim ever been to London's Dungeon?

I figure I'll go to all the tourist places and check them all out so when people come to visit I will be able to say, "tourist trap" or "brilliant"

 
At 11 October, 2005 18:33, Blogger PCS said...

So the reviewers on the web claim the Assembly House is way over priced. Is it true a pint of beer is 3 pounds now?

 
At 11 October, 2005 18:59, Blogger Sara said...

My dinner was 4 pounds and dad's was 4.50, not sure the price of a pint - Dad got dinner and the cops got our drinks - will have to go in again and check out the prices. The food at first did look kinda high but the portions were HUGE!! For 4 pounds I got 2 full BBQ chicken quesadillas w/ onions, peppers, cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream and salad. Two people could have eaten it and both been full!

 
At 11 October, 2005 19:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it that you're starting to sound like Dr. Couper....his favorite was "bloody brilliant"

 
At 11 October, 2005 20:07, Blogger PCS said...

That doesn't sound expensive to me.

 
At 11 October, 2005 20:20, Blogger Sara said...

Now if I could just start to sound like him when talking scientific, then I'd be really happy!

 
At 12 October, 2005 03:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saralicious, you will definitely have to compile your blog into a book upon your return to the states...so many interesting adventures! I too am enjoying...:)

 
At 12 October, 2005 18:39, Blogger Sara said...

yeah I'm hoping I will be able to switch this all to a Word doc when done and have it as a book - maybe KF will know how to do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home