Friday, October 7

One week down, Nine more to go

Well I don't have much exciting school news to tell you about today - had our first "statistics" class, but the prof wants us to call it "epidemiology" since nobody likes statistics, well aside from Larry ;) That class was 1 hour of lecture followed by 1.5 hours of practical - groups of 5 trying to figure out SD, mean, %, histograms, bar graphs, box graphs, pie charts etc. It wasn't that bad, but the lecture part was too boring for a Friday morning!

My afternoon was an intro to molecular biology - we had to take a short exam to see what we knew - based on that you would know which classes you should attend and which you didn't have to worry about - I passed with flighing colors the section on "DNA & RNA" and "PCR" but the rest I think I will go to b/c the terms sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember everything about them, so I guess I'll have a few Friday afternoon off. Since I was good to go with the "DNA & RNA" lecture I went to meet my friend Katie for a look at borough Market.

Borough Market is AWESOME!! They have all sorts of food -stalls just for beef, chicken, fish, ostrich meat, cheeses, breads, pastries, fruit, veggies, wines, beers, plus a few organic stalls, all sorts of other prepared foods ("pasties") you could grab to eat on your way home - it was GREAT!! Katie and I bought a baguette, fresh cheese, and concord grapes and walked over to the river, grabbed 2 lemonades (which aren't lemonade like you're thinking, it's more like Sprite) and chowed down. Katie's boyfriend and a few co-workers joined up about an hour later. They of course were hungry and we'd finished our meal, so we sat at their dinner table while they had the carvery from The Anchor Pub, ear London Bridge tube stop.

The "carvery" is a wonderful thing! For about 6 pounds (at most places) you get 3 slices of meat (carved in front of you) the choices are normally: turkey, gammon, or beef. Then you get all you can eat of the following: cheesy cauliflower, carrots, roasted potatoes, boiled potatoes, brussel sprouts, gravy, Yorkshire puddings, spiced stuffing balls - to be honest, I'm not a fan of that part, so I normally grab 2 puddings :)

When dinner was done, they were off to a show at the Globe, but since my cold is still with me I decided to just headed back home. This turned out to be quite complicated! The Northern line was having "SEVERE DELAYS" due to signaling problems, which had been going on all day. I thought it might be easier to take a bus, but after 3 buses went by overloaded with people, I decided to risk the tube ride. I got through the que pretty quickly only to be slowed by a drunk girl who had gotten stuck some how on the escalator - I think it was due to her scarf getting caught up in the moving handrail, but I'm not totally sure. During the time they tried to get her unstuck, she passed out and then woke up just in time to puke all over the people trying to help her out. Nobody could get to the platforms since there was only 1 way to get down and she was blocking it all! Finally they got her free and she started to yell at them for ruining her new scarf with throw up - she apparently missed the part where she'd puked. When I finally did get to the northbound platform, there weren't really any delays that I could see, so I was able to take the first train that showed up, my faithful High Barnet branch.

4 Comments:

At 07 October, 2005 21:57, Blogger PCS said...

What the HELL is gammon?

 
At 07 October, 2005 22:04, Blogger Sara said...

I think it's just another name for ham, but it might be a special type, I don't eat it I just get turkey, since I know what that is!

 
At 12 October, 2005 18:31, Blogger PCS said...

I found out that gammon is a ham steak so it's probably ok to eat next time.

 
At 12 October, 2005 21:51, Blogger Sara said...

I'm not such a fan of ham, so I'll probably stick to turkey, but thanks for the info!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home