Thursday, September 22

beginning of orientation

Orientation went well so far, I've met lots of people from Canada & Kenya. There were a few from India & the US (Texas & Wisconson). I haven't met anyone in my program yet, but the room was FULL of students and I only met a handful of them. Everyone I met today was part of the Public Health & Policy program or Public Health in Developing Countries. I did meet a girl from Cape Town, South Africa who worked at the Cape Town Uni. and knew lots of people at the hospital that I went to with work, so that was interesting!
I've registered for the National Health Services and still waiting to open a bank account until I have a student ID. You'd think since HSBC is "the world's local bank" this would be easier, but they don't recognize the HSBC in the US.
My good friend Katie from Lake Placid is back in London so she's coming over around 4:30pm to check out my flat and we're going to have dinner and chat until she has to be home (she lives with her boyfriend on the other side of the city).
I'm sitting next to a guy who is from Turkey I think, who is writing a letter to the UK about getting his VISA extended and I'm reading over his shoulder, which I know I shouldn't be doing, but it's so comical to read. Here's what I've read so far, and this took him 20 minutes to write . . . "I would like only one qurstion to the Home Office in this letter which is Why did the Turkish Authorities (!) extending my VISA for 6 monds (!) Please make that not clearly I do believe in Human Rights. If when get caught without visa depart me fast with no way to clearly contact family"
Okay back to my email, where was I, oh yeah orientation. So far so good. We meet again tomorrow morning to learn about the University of London Union. On Sunday we have a 2 hour walking tour of London. I'm going to all the events even though I think I know my way around pretty well but I think this way I'll meet more of the students.
Ok, running out of time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home