Monday, September 26

Registration begins

Well today was our first "big" day for registration. Compared to the US and what I'm use to the UK is much more laid back! For example here is my weekly schedule:

Monday:
9:30-10am "Welcome to LSH&TM" - Prof. Sir Andy Haines
10:30-11am "Welcome to the Dept of Infectious & Tropical Diseases" - Mr. Chris Murley & Prof. Hazel Dockrell
3:30-4pm register for school - show passport & proof that your tuition has been paid

Tuesday:
9:30-11:30 "Welcome to MBID (Molecular Biology of Infectious Diseases"

Wednesday:
9:30-11 "Life & Work at LSHTM
11:30-12:15 "Library services"
12:30-1pm "Computer facilities"

Thursday:
12:45-2pm "MBID Tutor lunch"

Friday:
5pm "Director's Party"

Now of course I've never done any masters work in the states, but in undergrad all these meetings would have taken place in 1-2 days plus registering for your classes. It is interesting to see these differences. I spoke with a friend who went to London School of Economics and she said it was the same way for her last year, so it's not just LSHTM.
I did finally get to meet 4 other people in MBID. They are all from the UK and just finished their undergrad work this past summer - their actual graduation hasn't even occurred. One of them, Allan, will be turning 21 in November. When they found out I was 27 they said, "oh that's old" making me feel old - lol. I told them they might have to refresh my memory on how to study, since I've been working for the past 4 years, my brain is probably a little rusty. They all seem really cool - we went to get some tea after the morning session was done. We then searched around to find a place to get passport photos for our discounted travel cards and since that took so long we ended up grabbing some lunch together before our 3:30 registration session.
Okay, gotta run, meeting a friend's friend from the states who's just moved to London as well.
Hope all is well with you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home