Saturday, May 13

Tonight's thoughts

So Susan & I went to dinner at Gulshan sorta across the road from where I live, it's where we typically go (unless the boys want to meet up in Angel after work). We had our usual chicken kormas with naan bread. After we decided to pop into the pub to see if they were offering dessert (sometimes they have waffles with ice cream & caramel sauce). When we walked in we went straight to the bar to ask Sally (one of the bartenders) if they had any dessert, from a few feet away I hear, "Oi, you can't say hello?" I turned to see Rob & Jim both glaring at me. I hadn't recognized them, I guess because I hadn't expected to see them their.

Sus & I were disappointed that they didn't have waffles, but we went over to have a chat. After a bit I finally remembered Jim had said he was going home this weekend so I asked why he was here. He announced that his mom had, had a second heart attack, was not doing well, and was not expected to make it through the weekend. He admitted he couldn't be at home and watch her die, he'd done it with his father & it was too painful! I had no clue what to say, luckily I have both of my parents, I have no clue what it is like to be in his shoes - I don't want to imagine it.

Then as luck would have it a fight broke out & the boys had to go and deal with that. Mark came in somewhere in the middle of all this. Sus & I stood chatting until they returned. Susan & I figured out what time we were going to meet up tomorrow for studying & swimming, and then she went to catch the bus to go home. I stayed talking with Mark about Americans, Liverpool (where he's from), Iraq, South Korea (he was stationed there with the British Army), and other topics which I've now forgotten. Around midnight Mark left and Rob was chatting to some girl, who he had no chance with, but we left him to try any way.

Jim & I started to talk about his mom. Now 95% of you have never met Jim, but for those of you who have (or who have heard me talk enough about him) you know he's not good talking about emotions (not that most guys are, but Jim's REALLY bad!) We had about a 30 minute conversation where he couldn't even look at me and just starred out the door talking about how his mom is his best friend & how he can't stand this and I'm the only one who knows anything. Of course there is nothing I can do to help, but I stood there & took it all in.

Finally Rob interrupted us & saying, "mate we gotta get goin, it's late" so there were hugs & kisses all around & I sent them on their way while I walked home.

My reflection tonight I guess is just to appreciate the time you have. It was sorta funny, before Jim mentioned his mom, he kept saying how he was sorry he'd not had more time to spend with me & mom while she was here and how great she seemed (even in her jet-lagged state). I kept saying no worries, but he kept repeating about how important it is to spend time with parents, I realize now what he was on about.


Here are some poems I found about moms, which I'll dedicate tonight to my mom & Jim's mom:

How much I love you I can't say:
It's more than words can hold.

You're all at once my rich, red clay,
My potter and my mold.


Yours the words that shaped my voice,
The spirit within mine.

Yours the will that shaped my choice,
My fortune, and my sign.

How lucky I was to have had you
At the core of me!

Wise and good, you always knew
Just what I could be.

And so I came to be someone
Whom I could be proud of.
For this I give my swollen sum
Of gratitude and love.



You are my mother and my friend,

Which is unusual.

Somehow our characters must blend:
Your wisdom and my will.

I turn, and you are there for me;
I speak, you understand.

I feel cared for, but also free;
You lead but don't command.

I'm fortunate that I was born
To someone just like you;

I love you, not just as my mom,
But for what you are and do.

3 Comments:

At 13 May, 2006 14:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the Mom's, I just want to say thank you for the dedication and love. It is my honor to be your mother, Sara. Love and hugs going your way. XXX OOO, Mommio

 
At 13 May, 2006 14:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't know why it posted my comment as "anonymous" as I definitely clicked on "other." oh, well, better than not posting it at all. Love, Mommio

 
At 14 May, 2006 16:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good wishes Shannon. The Flat Stanley project was fun for us too!

Love, Mommio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home