Tuesday, May 30

Coffee break time

Just realized it's coffee break time at Trudeau & here I am having tea in London - I sure do miss those coffee breaks! I remember one of my first days at work, Lisa & I were working away like crazy, when Peter popped into the lab, yelled over the bench, "coffee break time" and then walked out. I of course had no clue what I was suppose to do since I had 10 samples that needed to be processed. Luckily Paula came over and explained every day at 10.30am and 3.30pm we have "mandatory" coffee breaks. So I found a stopping point & followed her down the hall to the break room.

Your first day at coffee break is a bit strange if you don't know all the characters involved. I only knew about half of them & when I say "know them" I mean I knew their name and that was about it. Each person at the table has their own little quirk which you have to learn.

The main players at the time (if I remember correctly) were: Larry, Pete, Karen, Paula, Kim, Louise, Shannon, and Lisa (if she was still at work).

The other tricky part about joining the coffee break table is where to sit!! Some have "assigned seats" such as Larry who sits facing the door, Pete sits facing him, the rest of us sorta migrate around but typically Paula sat with her back to the wall & I sat opposite her - nobody else really seemed to care where they sat. But don't you ever sit in Larry or Pete's chair or you will have hell to pay!! Trust me, I tried it once & my chair (with me in it) got moved so Pete could put a chair in "his spot" which was followed by Paula saying, "YA BIG BABY!"

Coffee break was always good for some local gossip, talk of religion, politics, and of course who can forget the high school sports, especially the SL cross country team ;)

Miss all of you at the coffee break table! I'll make a visit in October, I promise . . . maybe we can even go for sushi after :)

4 Comments:

At 30 May, 2006 21:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the track team....Larry likes track much better than xc

 
At 30 May, 2006 21:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot, this afternoon we talked about cannibalism

 
At 30 May, 2006 21:18, Blogger Sara said...

wow, cannibalism . . . what did you decide??

 
At 30 May, 2006 23:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We pretty much agreed that if we were going to starve, it would be ok to munch on one of our dead compadres.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home