Sunday, March 5

Thoughts thanks to my book

I try to live each day so that at the end of it I can be thinking, if I died tonight in my sleep would I be happy with my life? Content in the choices I have made? If I had my life to do all over again, would I do it all over again exactly the same or would I have done some things differently? Do I have any regrets about the way I treated people or things I have done? Did I go all the places I wanted to go? Do all the things I wanted to do? Did I remember to say I love you to all those around me who I cared about?

In the same aspect, do you ever wonder who will actually show up to your funeral? What will they be saying about you? What will your obituary say about your life? Ten or twenty years from now who will still remember you and what will they be telling others about you?

Does it ever worry you that not nearly as many people as you thought will show up to your funeral? I mean aside from those who have to be there, like your immediate family. You like to think that all your friends would come but who are your real friends? I think that is when you will truly know who they are. If you think about all the people you communicate with on a daily or monthly basis – would those people make the effort? What about those people who you didn't expect to show up - will you feel guilty for not spending as much time with them?

Funerals are different from other milestones in your life such as 21st birthdays, weddings, and children’s births. Those sorts of events you send out announcements to whom ever you want – you send them out to everyone who you consider to be your friend, but when push comes to shove, would those same people take the time off from their busy work schedule and drive long distances for your funeral?

If they do happen to show up – what will they say? Will they be telling funny stories about your time growing up together and how much they loved hanging out with your? Or will they just be saying the generic things like, “so sad to loose her so early” or “she had such a wonderful life”?

Who will write your obituary? What will be written about you? She was friendly and adventurous? She enjoyed life to the fullest? She made so many friends wherever she went. She is survived by parents & siblings or husband & children?

10 or 20 years down the road, long after the funeral is over and some of those people have forgotten you, what will you be remembered for? Your smile? Sense of humour? Or will people feel bad for you that you never got married or never had children? Or on the other hand, just the fact that you died too young or had a fulfilling life?

Isn’t life strange at times that these thoughts pop into your head? Here I was reading my non-school related book thinking it is just a quick mindless read yet it spurred on all these thoughts – guess I should stick with scientific journal articles, huh??


Happy Sunday to all you all (like that southern expression) off to read some science now!!

2 Comments:

At 06 March, 2006 13:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...what were you reading? Fascinating the thoughts that can arise in our minds.

Loved the two previous stories. Wasn't hungry until then...

Love, Mommio

 
At 07 March, 2006 18:12, Blogger Sara said...

Complications - A surgeon's notes on an imperfect science by Atul Gawande
Susan gave me the book for my 28th birthday :)
You'd like it mom b/c they talk in detail about surgeries while Dad & Patty would probably get sick (lol)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home