Monday, April 3

Ireland (Day 2)

Woke up around 9am, showered, eat breakfast, dropped my bag at the front desk (since I was not spending the night) & off I went to check out the tourist office which was just round the corner.

I had decided on Thursday that I really enjoyed the country side of Glendalough & determined to find an afternoon half day tour that was similar. All the tours that went to what I will call "the beautiful spots" were all booked or full day tours. After a bit of mulling around I found an afternoon coast & castle tour, signed up for that & decided I'd just walk around the city of Dublin till then.

While wandering around Dublin I saw, St Patrick's Cathedral (didn't go in, trying to conserve time, plus once you've seen a cathedral with a stained glass window, they all start to look the same), the Guinness Factory, the train station, a few bridges over the river Liffey, into the phoenix park (where Ireland's president & the US ambassador live).

Around 12.45 I found a place to have lunch (traditional Irish stew, which I must admit wasn't as good as Rob's cooking!!) The weather all morning had been on the sunny side, but once inside eating lunch I could tell dark clouds were moving in :( Met the coast & castle tour bus at 2pm. From the bus stop we drove us straight to Malahide Castle. This was home to the Talbot family for over 800 years. We were given the guided tour of the castle through the historic home and hearing about Puck the ghost!!! A few minutes after we returned to the bus the skys opened up and it started to pour down with rain. We took a drive along the north coast passing the picturesque fishing village of Howth and the stunning views of Dublin Bay. (I took photos from the bus, but they're sorta dark & crap b/c of all the rain.)

5.30pm we arrived back on O'Connell street, luckily it had stopped raining at this point so I was able to walk back to the hostel, pick up my bag & proceed to the bus station to start my journey back to London. Can't say that anything worth writing about happens so I'll stop here, aside from telling you that Ireland is one of the most BEAUTIFUL countries I've ever seen!! I can't wait to go back there. Dublin's okay, but ya know a city's a city's a city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home