Wednesday, November 30

Just a little ranting

So nothing exciting has happened since I last wrote in this blog. I've been reading papers and trying to get my 2000 word essay done for Monday.

I am very close to my 100 pound goal for the World Swim for Malaria, that's good news! I am however disappointed at the lack of people who donated - For just $5 you can save a child's life! I've realized what a sheltered life we Americans live - I bet most people don't even really know what Malaria is, since it's not a problem for people in the states.

I guess I just get frustrated seeing as this was just Thanksgiving and we're moving into the Christmas season which is supposed to be about giving (not receiving) yet few people seem to be able to spare $5 to save a child's life.

Let's just think about what $5 is . . . . . . can you spare one of these things this week to save a helpless child?!?!?!?
  • 1 McDonald's meal,
  • 2 DVD rentals,
  • 2 pints
  • 2 slices of pizza
These are children who are much less fortunate than we will ever be able to comprehend!!

I think it is very hard unless you have seen the conditions these children live in first hand to understand it. I was lucky enough while working at Trudeau to go to Cape Town, South Africa with Peter and see first hand what it is like. I'm sure my mom (who's been to Mongolia) & Julia (who is living in Kenya) can vouch for what I'm talking about!!

Okay enough ranting for one day - to those of you who helped - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
There's still time, www.worldswimformalaria.com/SaraOberdorf

The next 2 photos are from The Global Fund Organization



anopheles on a blood meal

Boy suffering from a fever due to Malaria. One of the most common symptoms of severe malaria is profuse sweating or the opposite: an attack of the chills whereby (in the words of one malaria sufferer) not even five blankets would help.

1 Comments:

At 30 November, 2005 22:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ra, gave some loot earlier 2 malaria, don't b afraid of standing on a soap box every once in awhile, good luck w the paper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home